Re: [Phys-L] electron location & wave function

I don't think this question has been answered. Of course the wave function
transitions to a new wave function, but the details of "how" this happens is
probably not answerable in standard QM. But it might be answerable in
Bohmian mechanics, but that is not the standard QM. The electron does not
disappear, but merely its state changes within a very short time determined
by the uncertainty principle.

This is really a classical question rather than a QM question. There are
situations where a system such as the nucleus transitions through a variety
of states, but the in between is not really defined. In the case of
electron transitions in an atom only two states are presumably involved.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Hi.
I am somewhat comfortable with electrons being described by a
wave equation. It has been too long since my coursework
involving wave equation items. When an atom is excited and
the electron transitions to different levels, does the wave
function adjust, allowing the electron to exist in spots
inbetween what was alowable prior to the excitation, or does
the electron disappear / reappear? I thought the energy
added would adjust the wave function while the electron
transitions energy levels. Others have told me the electron
just zaps to the other level. However I don't know this well
enough to figure out what I am making up and what they are
making up.
Thanks for your help.
Paul.