Re: [Phys-L] mass, energy, and spacetime

On 03/16/2013 05:58 AM, Brian Blais wrote:

I was just reading John Denker's lovely spacetime intro,
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-welcome.htm,

:-)

I have never seen in 8th grade or earlier any plot of x vs t which
looked like Figure 4
(http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-welcome.htm#fig-ruler-cart-t-const-x-red-transp).
It is this non-orthogonal axis plotting which is the tough part for
students, not the fact that we are plotting x vs t.

Ah, yes.

The fact that the problem is described in terms of "non-orthogonal
axes" -- AXES -- is part of the problem! People have been trained to
think in terms of axes. However ... it would be much safer to think
in terms of contours, such as the contours of constant X.

In the simplest case, the contours of constant X run perpendicular
to the X-axis, so we see these are very different concepts indeed.
What's more, the X-contours are not even guaranteed to be perpendicular
the X-axis, so there is not even an equivalence(*) between the two.

I just now rewrote the paragraph in question at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime-welcome.htm#fig-ruler-cart-t-const-x-blue-transp
Among other things, I narrowed the focus of the "8th grade" remark.
I also spelled out the point about axes:

So far, the diagrams in this section haven’t told us much we
didn’t already know. The idea of plotting x versus t as we have
done in figure 5 is completely standard. It’s something you should
have seen in 8th grade (if not before), and seen many times since
then. The only thing that is even slightly special is that rather
than showing the x-axis we have shown the contours of constant x.
Similarly, rather than showing the t-axis we have shown the contours
of constant t. This is a useful tactic. It doesn’t make much difference
in figure 5, but it makes figure 4 considerably easier to interpret.
For a fuller explanation of why contours are better than axes, see
http://www.av8n.com/physics/axes.htm

(*) Note that "equivalence" is a very strong word; see also next message.