Re: [Phys-L] Big Bang

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey
Schnick
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:53 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Big Bang

This is a side issue, but I think that in arriving at the size of the universe at the
time of the big bang, based on the essentially infinite density of the universe
at that time, one assumes that the universe is currently a sphere of diameter

radius 14 billion light years (not diameter)

14 billion light years with us at the center. I think that the size that they are
actually talking about is the size of that portion of the universe which is visible
to us and that they should refer to it as such.

I think that in arriving at the size of the universe one assumes that there is a
finite amount of mass in the universe in which case infinite density implies
infinitesimal diameter. I don't think we have evidence that the mass of the
universe is finite. I don't think we can rule out infinite density and infinite
diameter at the time of the big bang.