[Phys-L] Distance ed summer course for in-service high school teachers

My NCSU colleague Prof. Laura Clarke has for several years taught the
distance education version of the Matter & Interactions curriculum for
in-service high school physics teachers in the fall semester, a course that
has received high praise from those who have taken it. This summer (2013)
she will for the first time teach the E&M portion of the two-semester
sequence in the summer, which has often been requested.

In addition to the links she gives in the announcement below, you might be
interested in an article about the course, and reactions by teachers who
have taken the course, in the section "Course for HS teachers" at
matterandinteractions.org.

Bruce

This year I am conducting the experiment of teaching the MATTER AND
INTERACTIONS distance graduate course for high school teachers (Electricity
and Magnetism PY 582) in the *SUMMER* (NC State summer session II:
7/1/13-8/2/13). We have 30 slots and would like to try to fill so that we
can support a graduate TA and give the teachers the best possible
experience. Any in-service teacher is welcome and we are particularly
interested in those transitioning to teaching physics.

We've altered the usual schedule to try to accommodate more teachers. This
will be an intensive course (16 weeks of material in 4 weeks) but provides
the opportunity for teachers to take the class outside the K-12 school
year. Enrollment opens April 22nd.

*If you know of anyone (friends, neighbors, former students, colleagues…)
who might be interested please feel free to forward this mail or pass their
contact information to me.*

Additional information is available at:

http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/clarke/teaching/class.html

and (slow link, be patient):