[Phys-L] The Contentious Common Core Controversy

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in a recent post "The Contentious Common Core Controversy" [Hake (2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) <http://www.corestandards.org/> have engendered considerable controversy - see e.g., "Resistance to Common Core standards growing" [Strauss (2013)] at <http://wapo.st/Y7kwdK>. Stimulated by Diane Ravitch's (2013) admonition at <http://bit.ly/XGpEpK> "to think critically about the standards," I searched Google for "Common Core State Standards" to obtain 3,010,000 hits at <http://bit.ly/15QLBZR> on 03 March 2013 10:15-0800. Careful consideration of all those leads me to suggest the following sixteen as especially valuable:

ANTI- CCSS
1. "Eight problems with Common Core Standards" [Brady (2012)] at <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>.

2. "Engineering Good Math Tests"[Burkhardt (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/VaJgpp>;

3. "How Common Core will change testing in schools" [Krashen (2012)] at <http://wapo.st/12bt9w5>;

4. "Debunking the Case for National Standards: One-Size-Fits-All Mandates and Their Dangers" [Kohn (2010)] at <http://bit.ly/Z0xoUV>;

5. "Do young kids need to learn a lot of facts?" [Miller & Carlsson-Paige (2013)] at <http://wapo.st/13oJVqW>.

6. "Whoo-Hoo! Occupy the Schools" [Ohanian (2013)] at <http://bit.ly/XGs4oq>;

7. "Why I Cannot Support the Common Core Standards" [Ravitch (2013)] at
<http://bit.ly/XGpEpK>;

8. "Do We Need a Common Core?" [Tampio (2012)] at <http://huff.to/ZBaDb6>.

PRO-CCSS
9. "Creating a Comprehensive System for Evaluating and Supporting Effective Teaching" [Darling-Hammond et al. (2012)] at <http://stanford.io/Wj1w1E>;

10. "Standards Worth Attaining" Finn (2012) at <http://bit.ly/XHtS0k>;

11. "A Common Core Standards defense" [Hirsch (2013)] at <http://wapo.st/Y1gwvk>;

12. "What English classes should look like in Common Core era" [Jago (2013)] at
<http://wapo.st/XdE2cM>;

13. "International Lessons About National Standards" [Schmidt, Houang, & Shakrani (2009)] at <http://bit.ly/xPjmJ4>.

14. "Seizing the Moment for Mathematics" [Schmidt (2012)] at <http://bit.ly/Z0BbS2>;

15. "On Naked Standards - And Free Curriculum" Tucker (2012) at <http://bit.ly/Y531xl>;

16. "The Case for National Standards" [Weingarten (2009)] at <http://wapo.st/XbIJ6K>.

For an earlier review of the pros and cons of the Common Core Standards see "National Education Standards for the United States?" [Hake (2009)] at <http://bit.ly/Z0DMLK>. In a subsequent post I shall discuss the "Next Generation Science Standards" (NGSS) <http://bit.ly/y1gJPx> and their relationship to the "Common Core State Standards."

To access the complete 38 kB post please click on < http://bit.ly/Y7ocMv>.

Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Academia: <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
GooglePlus: <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>
Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>
Twitter: <http://bit.ly/juvd52>
Facebook: <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>

"I have come to the conclusion that the Common Core standards effort is fundamentally flawed by the process with which they have been foisted upon the nation. . . . . They were developed by an organization called Achieve and the National Governors Association both of which were generously funded by the Gates Foundation. . . . . Their creation was neither grassroots nor did it emanate from the states. . . . . . it was well understood by states that they would not be eligible for Race to the Top funding unless they adopted the Common Core standards. . . . . "
- Diane Ravitch (2013) at <http://bit.ly/XGpEpK>

"The countries that consistently outperform the United States on international assessments all have national standards, with core curriculum, assessments and time for professional development for teachers based on those standards. . . . . Should fate, as determined by a student's Zip code, dictate how much algebra he or she is taught? . . . . Education is a local issue, but there is a body of knowledge about what children should know and be able to do that should guide decisions about curriculum and testing."
- Randi Weingarten (2009), president of the American Federation of Teachers at <http://wapo.st/XbIJ6K>.

"So much orchestrated attention is being showered on the Common Core Standards, the main reason for poor student performance is being ignored - a level of childhood poverty the consequences of which no amount of schooling can effectively counter."
- Marion Brady (2012) at <http://wapo.st/15Z4kTg>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by http://bit.ly/ and accessed on 03 March 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. " The Contentious Common Core Controversy," online on the OPEN! AERA-H archives at <http://bit.ly/Y7ocMv>. Post of 3 Mar 2013 11:01:22 to AERA-H and Net-Gold. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/Z7TV0W> with a provision for comments.