Re: [Phys-L] amusing electrostatics exercise

Can the WikiPedia article be improved?
Or is it more valuables as an object of derision?

On Feb 23, 2013, at 8:43 PM, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

Hi Folks --

I find the following exercise to be interesting without being overly
complicated.

Let's start with a slightly messy real-world application, and then
simplify it. My motivation was that I wanted an explanation of how
an electrophorus works. I found a whole bunch of bogus explanations.
There may be some good explanations out there, but they seem to be
hopelessly outnumbered by bogus explanations. This version is typical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrophorus