Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:14 PM
To: phys-L new
Subject: [Phys-L] To exist or not to exist

The short essay below was inspired by recent exposures. Comments will be appreciated.

Our material world is made of physical objects; anything that has a certain mass, and occupies a certain volume in space, is an object. Some objects, such a stars and galaxies are very large, others, like electrons and molecules, are very small. Collections of objects, such as airplanes, cell phones and molecules, are also objects. The same is true for a certain amount of water, or air, and for living creatures. To avoid confusion, objects are named. Existence of objects is recognized by using our senses, directly or indirectly, for example, with glasses, telescopes, microscopes, Geiger counters, antennas, etc.

But not all names used by physicist refer to objects; some concepts, such as force and acceleration, were invented to describe and understand behavior of objects. Does kinetic energy exist in the same way as a moving car? I do not think so. Energy, like force and acceleration, is a physical quantity invented to describe and understand objects. Such theoretical quantities exist in our mind; they do not exist objectively, like physical objects in our material world.

Theoretical reality is subjective; physical reality is objective. It is not difficult to imagine a planet on which material world phenomena have been successfully described, and understood, in terms of theoretical concepts that are different from ours. Many misunderstandings would be avoided if the verb 'to exist' were always qualified. To "exist subjectively" is not the same thing as to "exist objectively." Do you agree?

Ludwik Kowalski

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html