Re: [Phys-L] Economist Kern Alexander Explains the Problem with School Choice

On 2013, Feb 03, , at 18:29, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

*) If you want more fairness without sacrificing practicality,
consider the cut-and-choose algorithm. In a two-player situation,
I cut the cake and you choose which piece you want. Or vice versa.
The cutter's optimal strategy is to cut as evenly as possible, so
that he does OK no matter what the chooser chooses.

I'll bet this "goes back" almost to our great ape ancestor.

If one is "good" at optical illusions, one may cut in a manner to disguise the more massive piece as smaller.

bc thanks JD for Pieter Bruegel the Elder's "Luilekkerland" explanation.