Re: [Phys-L] Light Spot.

What I find curious is that it focuses to a definite shape. Is it possible
that there is a reflection off of something which is close to the plane?
Could it be due to a turbulance produced by the plane which is reflecting
the light back. How about some exhaust fumes which are caught in a
turbulance that is produced by the plane? I suppose if there is a
temperature inversion it could be like a mirage, but what about the position
of the sun?

Yes, the Poisson spot would illuminate the details on the ground, but this
is obscuring the details on the ground. If it were from the soil I doubt it
would obscure the trees.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

If it were Poisson's spot, it would have to be a scattered
reflection of the spot. The spot is much dimmer than the
light which surrounds the object that created it. Likewise,
reflections from the ground would scatter it again. I'm
having difficulty imagining that being visible amidst the
daylight all around the plane.

I think it's a glory. It might come from haze near the
ground. Or it could be a retrodirective reflection from the soil.

Paul