From: John Denker
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2013 7:53 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] two very different "gravity" concepts

On 01/05/2013 05:17 PM, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
OK, but one measures the "g" of a given frame by observing, from that
frame,
the motion of a mass in "free fall". No?

We agree that the "drop" method is one way of doing it.
It makes a fine Gedankenexperiment.
It also is used in practice, by top-notch experts:
http://www.microglacoste.com/pdf/newgeneration.pdf

Meanwhile, there are other methods that also work. Weighing
a known mass works just fine for a wide range of practical
purposes.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/in/accelerometers.html

The fundamental physics point remains that the same "g" acts
on all objects, whether they are freely falling or not.

This g fundamentally reflects the absolute acceleration of
the /frame/ rather than the acceleration of any particular
object. The g field exists even in regions where there
are no objects at all.