From: Phys-l [phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] on behalf of Anthony Lapinski [Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org]
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:52 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Evaluation tests

I, too. Could not find it online, only a few sample math questions...

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
On Dec 16, 2013, at 18:23 PM, Robert Cohen wrote:

We have found a very strong correlation between students passing this
course with a C or better and our own survey, which is based partly on
Jerome Epstein's "Basic Skills Diagnostic Test" (BSDT) and focuses a
great deal on proportions and the meaning of algebraic letters (variable
and unit abbreviations) vs. numbers. The key is to ask as simple a
question as possible that still reveals the weakness. For example,
without the help of a calculator, which is bigger: 25/27 or 15/17?

I'd love to see a copy of this survey if I could. Have you ever
administered it as a pre/post test in a physics class? It'd be
interesting if the physics class, as opposed to a math class, having an
impact on improving this sort of thinking.

thanks,

Brian Blais
--
Brian Blais