Re: [Phys-L] Evaluation tests

To some extent what we have mixed in here is the 'anyone can do
anything' mythology still prevalent from 60s and 70s societal AND
educational movements. We don't have any problem accepting PHYSICAL
limitations to what one can accomplish (just ask any lifelong golfer
like myself just how far 'working REALLY hard' gets you), but we seem to
have a much tougher time with accepting the limits of individual mental
abilities. To be fair, I don't think we have that strong of an
understanding of where those limits are and how to determine an
individuals limits (IQ evaluations were an abortive effort at doing so),
but I think anyone who has spent much time in the classroom recognizes
that not every student can master every subject and in some cases, no
matter how hard they work, some just can't get it.

rwt