Re: [Phys-L] Evaluation tests

On 12/17/2013 4:39 PM, Ze'ev Wurman wrote:

And remember what started this thread. It is NOT ABOUT SOLVING THE PROBLEM, IT IS ABOUT THE PREDICTIVE POWER OF THE PROBLEM.

Taking that to heart, I wonder if these tests are worth giving. If the goal is to do a service to students who sign up but with little chance of earning a c or better, I suspect that there is a lot of information available with more predictive power: grades in previous science classes, high school gpa, even math SAT score might do a better job than what has been proposed so far. But to find out, you would have to check the data.

But I am not sure that is our role to make these predictions. If a student has a destination in mind and physics is one of the requirements along the way, then despite what my (admittedly fuzzy) prediction model would say, my first instinct is to say come on in and be prepared to work hard.