From: Phys-l [phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org <javascript:;>] on behalf of John
Denker [jsd@av8n.com <javascript:;>]
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 12:14 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Evaluation tests

On 12/17/2013 09:44 AM, Robert Cohen wrote:
For a simpler question, how about 5/7 vs. 7/9?

OTOH one could argue that it would simplify the task to
ask which is larger, 12345/12347 versus 23457/23459.

That makes it more obvious that it is a logic problem not
a simple division problem, and increases the value of the
devious solution relative to the brute-force solution.

It really doesn't matter as long as you talk to the student and ask
how he/she approached the problem.

There are lots of questions in that category, questions
that work fine one-on-one but are less reliable and more
difficult to interpret in a mass-production written-test
environment.