Re: [Phys-L] Evaluation tests

There are no test with very high predictive value. That being said, the
Lawson test of Scientific Reasoning is probably one of the best predictors.
It predicts the maximum possible gain on the FCI or FMCE extremey well, but
is only a fairly good predictor of the actual gain. It does not predict the
ability of the students to memorize their way through. So in addition to
that having the first test within the drop window is very advisable. But as
we all know the first test can be a wake up call that some students will
respond to. If you use the Lawson test, you should only reveal the
aggregate score and not the answers to the questions as it is basically a
research test and others may wish to use it. Also it should not be for a
grade except as a participation grade for finishing it. However, you can
have the score handy to use when advising a student.

Your first test may be a reasonable guide as it notifies the student what to
expect on tests. Of course an alternative is to have daily quizzes instead
of big tests.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Hello, all,

Our University will change its policy regarding drops,
withdrawals, and academic penalties beginning next Fall. With
this new policy, it would really help students if the could
make an informed decision in the first one or two weeks of a
course whether they would do well in it. So, I was wondering
if there exists a test that we can administer in the first
week of the first course of the algebra-based physics
sequence that would predict student success in the course. If
there is such a test, we'd like to try it out in the Spring
and summer. Any help would be most appreciated.

If you can send this information to me at the email address
below, I can gather and post a summary in early next semester.

Thanks.

Promod Pratap
Prpratap@uncg.edu

--
Promod R. Pratap, Ph.D., Chair
University of North Carolina at Greensboro Dept. of Physics