Re: [Phys-L] feeler-dealer, third law, et cetera

It depends on what you mean by an object. If for instance, in the case of two charged particles, you consider the particles to be the objects, then false. But if you consider the objects, for instance, to be one particle and the field of the other, then true. Force is momentum flow rate. At the interface between the field and the particle, momentum is flowing from one to another. The flow rate is equal to the rate that one is gaining momentum and to the rate at which the other is losing momentum. Momentum is conserved locally.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 5:01 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] feeler-dealer, third law, et cetera

True or false: If an object is subject to a force F, some other object must be
subject to a force -F, simultaneously.

Assume short distances and long times, so we don't need to fuss over the
meaning simultaneity in special relativity.

True of false: The pairing of F with -F is absolutely required by third law of
motion.

Please do NOT spend more than a few minutes thinking about this. I will post
my answers soon.