[Phys-L] Pay and job satisfaction Was: Re: [SPAM] Re: critical thinking exercise : DC circuits

On 2013, Dec 09, , at 15:02, John Clement <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:

Unfortunately many schools mandate the books. The director of instruction
in the school I was at not only insisted that I have a book, but made me
change the book from the one I wanted to something else. Actually that is
when I ended up leaving.

cut

The DI at my school even insisted on a computer science book when I
suggested a very good free online one.

cut

"Fairfax, VA 22030
Abstract
The shortage of science and mathematics teachers is a growing problem in the United States. This article looks at what research says about the causes for the growing teacher shortage and its effects on student achievement. As the teacher shortage worsens, teachers without a science or mathematics backgrounds are tasked to teach science and mathematics or underqualified teachers are being hired to fill the shortage. These underqualified teachers are not remaining in the profession, thus not solving the teacher shortage problem and creating an even higher turnover rate for teachers. In addition, experienced teachers are leaving the profession in greater numbers due to low salaries and job dissatisfaction. Research indicates that the initial preparation and support of teachers as they enter the profession is critical to surviving the beginning years and remaining in the profession. Additionally, well-prepared teachers have the largest impact on effective classroom practice and high student achievement.”

Note: pay and job satisfaction.

Untitled Page

http://www.math.vcu.edu/g1/journal/Journal7/Part%20I/Sterling.html

bc thinks there’s a “connection” here, the DI behaviour is very insulting, and he’d quit also.