Re: [Phys-L] critical thinking exercise : DC circuits

What fascinates me is how so many bugs can persist for so long.
How can there be a thousand errors in a thousand pages ... in
the THIRD EDITION?

Only the third? I started using the 7th edition of a first-year
chemistry textbook. There is a picture of a simple electric-sector
mass spectrometer with + and - flipped. Actually, a student brought it
to my attention. I informed the publisher and one of the authors.
Tenth edition: still wrong.

A colleague and I picked apart a first-edition "Engineering for
Chemists" textbook much like you did a few years ago. We had about one
notable error every two pages. One major error I remember is that the
author occasionally used Co as the symbol for copper. (Co is cobalt;
Cu is copper.) Sent all the errors to the author and publisher. The
publisher responded, "stylistic preferences." I just looked up the
book. Still in the first edition. 580 pages. 20 cm × 25 cm (8 in × 10
in). Sells for 200 $.

And you wonder why I avoid publishers.

Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry