Re: [Phys-L] circular definition of "success" .... was: standard DC circuits

On 11/29/2013 10:04 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
Is this a simple Gauss’ law prob.?

bc ...

On 2013, Nov 29, , at 19:44, LaMontagne, Bob <RLAMONT@providence.edu> wrote:
Sorry, meant to say that the wire is parallel to the field.

Bob

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2013 10:36 PM

Suppose we have a uniform electric field and we place in the field a finite length straight wire which is grounded at both ends. What is the field in the wire and what do the surface charges look like?

Bob at PC
It is an extraordinary luxury that is open to me, but denied to anyone working as a physics teacher: that I can type any single thing that I feel moved to, and as like as not, it will pass to the phys-l list. This is an uncomfortable factor to those well-intentioned people who feel that teachers' understanding should not be polluted by nonsense, supposing that teachers should have a touch-stone of best-available-truth - or if not truth, at least facts, as best known.
But teachers will notice that a dialog can help internalize some ideas of value, if only from the swift rebuff that nonsense may politely evoke.

So let me think about this: a uniform field, with what may be thought of an enforced region of zero field inserted in it? Perhaps visualized at two parallel plates of infinite extent, and between them, two small disks both parallel to the infinite plates, connected with a wire. The infinite plates would have some generator of a steady voltage applied, so that after an infinite time interval, the uniform electric field is everywhere established, everywhere except on these two internal plates that is. And at some point in the past, there was a displacement current which mechanized the polarization of both internal plates, so that now we can visualize a uniform field - of sorts - from the interior plate surfaces to the external planes. I could suppose, relying only on intuition that the wire surfaces attaching the interior plates are indeed devoid of surface charge, if only the shielding effect of the interior plates is large enough. And now I have a difficulty - if I shrink the area of these internal plates, then the electric field will start making a distinct difference to the surface charge of that internal wire. And that is as far as my evidently insufficient intuition will take me. Pity!

Brian Whatcott Altus OK