[Phys-L] The emperor is naked

Unable to do something on my Kindle reader, I contacted their customer service. After about 30 minutes of conversation we decided that something might be wrong with my device.

Unfortunately, repair stores, where I would be able to have a face-to-face interaction with a technician, are no longer available. Repairs are performed over the Internet. They emailed me instructions as to what I should do (on my Kindle device). I did what they asked for. This produced diagnostic files. I was asked to send them these files as attachments to my reply. Now I am waiting for additional instructions. They will ask me to connect the Kindle to my computer again and will probably repair it via the Internet.

I am not comfortable with this kind of approach; I prefer old-fashioned face-to-face interactions with technicians. Where should I proclaim that "the digital emperor is naked" ?

Ludwik Kowalski

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html