Re: [Phys-L] Energy & Bonds

Lest there be any misunderstanding, note that JD is plotting potential
energy for (charged) ions bound to each other, not neutral atoms bound to
each other. For the latter case, a well-known approximation is the Morse
potential energy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_potential) for which a
harmonic oscillator well fits over a much wider range of distances than it
does for the two-ion situation.

Bruce