From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Bruce
Sherwood
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:37 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Energy & Bonds

Depends on what you're referring to as to whether a spring is or isn't a good
model for electric interactions at the atomic level. Note that when you
stretch a wire the wire behaves macroscopically in a spring-like manner, in
that the stretch (strain) is proportional to the applied force (stress). That
means that at the atomic level the distances between adjacent nuclei
lengthen proportional to the applied force, hence the
(electric) forces between neighboring atoms are in fact springlike.
Obviously we're not talking about Coulomb's law here, which refers to two
point charges, we're talking about a complex situation of two neutral objects
containing charged particles interacting with each other.

Another place where this strange representation of electric forces shows up
is in the classical interaction of light with matter, in which the electrons in
atoms are modeled as responding to light as though they were attached to
the atom by a spring (maybe with damping), which sounds very odd indeed. I
remember being very puzzled by this as a student.

Here's a situation that I found instructive. Consider the effect of a field
applied to a hydrogen atom. To first order, the electron cloud is slightly
displaced so that its center is no longer at the location of the proton, and the
hydrogen atom is now an induced dipole. How is the amount of the electron
cloud displacement related to the strength of the applied field?
Make a crude model of the electron cloud as a uniform-density sphere of
charge, with a radius of one Bohr radius, R. Let r represent the displacement
of the proton relative to the center of the electron cloud.
The force that the electron cloud exerts on the proton is due just to that
portion Q of the electron cloud inside the sphere of radius r, where Q =
e(r^3/R^3), so F = ke^2(r^3/R^3)/r^2 = (ke^2/R^3)r, a restoring force
proportional to the displacement r. In equilibrium this force is equal to the
force acting on the proton due to the applied field E, which is F = eE, so
(ke/R^3)r = E, and the displacement of the proton is proportional to the
applied field, which means that you can model the response to an applied
field with a spring-like force.

A footnote to this is that for the polarizability P of the hydrogen atom we
have the dipole moment er = PE = (R^3/k)E, so P = R^3/k, in rough
agreement with experimental measurements. (In cgs units k = 1 and the
polarizability has units of cubic centimeters.)

Bruce