From: Phys-l on behalf of Philip Keller
Sent: Tue 29-Oct-13 10:48 AM
To: Phys-L@phys-l.org
Subject: [Phys-L] defining energy

Hello,

I am going to be teaching this topic to my 11th graders soon. I have a
question about the definition of energy. I know that the "ability to do
work" definition runs into trouble when you consider heat, engines and 2nd
law issues. But what if I turn the definition around. Instead of saying
"energy is the ability to do work", I want to say:

Work is defined to be the product of force and displacement (in the same
direction). Then, in different contexts, you can show that work = delta
(some quantity). Any such quantity is referred to as [blank] energy. Fill
in the blank with an adjective that fits the context.

So "energy" is not the ability to do work, but energies are the quantities
that are changed by work.

Does this definition pass muster?