Re: [Phys-L] defining energy

Perhaps Antti's question wasn't directly addressed. As you say, "mass is
defined in the rest frame", that is, the frame in which the total momentum
of all the particles is zero. I didn't say it explicitly, but what I
intended was to compare a non-rotating wheel in its rest frame with a
rotating wheel in its rest frame -- if the axis isn't moving the total
momentum of the rotating wheel is zero. Necessarily, this rotating wheel
has greater mass than the non-rotating wheel, by an amount 0.5*I*omega^2.

Bruce

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Savinainen Antti <