Re: [Phys-L] defining energy

Hi,

Bruce Sherwood wrote:

"A rotating wheel has slightly more rest mass than a stationary wheel, but it is usually convenient to call this extra energy "rotational kinetic energy" and calculate it from 0.5I*omega^2."

Could you elaborate a bit? I have thought that kinetic energy does *not* add to the rest energy in the relativistic perspective as the rest mass is defined in the rest frame. Rotational energy can be viewed as the sum of kinetic energies of "small" parts of the wheel. Hence, it would not add to the rest mass...or just mass as the qualifier "rest" is unnecessary as eplained by Taylor & Wheeler in their splendid book Spacetime physics (1992).

Or perhaps I am missing something?

Regards,

Antti
Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.