[Phys-L] Definition of Mass

Interesting statement from the paper by Gregg Swackhamerin the Modeling Resource paper CognitiveResources for Understanding Energy (Draft March 31, 2005): “since over 90%of the mass of Mt. Rainier or bread, arises not from particles but from energystored in the strong fields holding the constituent quarks together, it is apretty accurate statement in many instances to say that energy is there justlike bread in a breadbox.” (Wilczek, Frank, “Mass without Mass I: Most ofMatter,” Physics Today, November, 1999, pp. 11–13) This might be commonknowledge to most or all of the folks on this list, but it was novel to me. I’denjoy reading your comments on this. Howdo others of you define the term mass? Iunderstand the inertial and gravitational meanings, but how do you discuss massin your classes?

Thanks.

Charlie Payne