Re: [Phys-L] teaching credentials +- qualifications +- administration

On Oct 19, 2013, at 11:45 AM, John Denker wrote:

Furthermore FWIW, returning to the lower level, even the GPA
example persists in other places, e.g.
http://www.education.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/pa_certification/8635/important_certification_requirements/506743
In other words, half of the students graduating from Princeton
are officially considered too stupid to teach in Yardley, PA --
15 miles away. This is beyond bizarre.
That assumes that the students of Princeton are CAPABLE
of teaching in Yardley.
Well, for the record, Princeton does in fact have a program for teacher preparation. And they report a 100% pass rate for licensing exams. I did not go through that program. Instead, I went through the alternate route to certification. When I did it, the minimum required GPA was 2.5. About 10 years ago, they raised that minimum to 2.75 -- and as an individual pioneer in grade deflation, I admit that I am not sure I would have cleared that mark. But I do manage to function in my job and I think I could even function in Yardley. Just saying.