[Phys-L] the mechanical battery

We're all familiar with the battery in the hybrids and its operation, right?

Some know about the Swiss flywheel energy storage trams.

Gyrobus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrobus

Well, volvo now has a prototype 'bile, wherein the flywheel powers the rear wheels and a supercharged four cylinder ICE the front wheels and the flywheel. Of course, the flywheel is used for regenerative braking, also. Note: the flywheel is vacuum packed and requires 30 minutes to decay. I suspect the system is not as "good" as the battery methods, but may be somewhat less expensive.

Volvo S60 Flywheel KERS Prototype First Drive - Motor Trend

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1307_volvo_s60_flywheel_kers_prototype_first_drive/

bc thinks perhaps both ina 'bile ideal with the batt. externally chargeable.