Re: [Phys-L] ? FCI --> momentum flow

Marty Weiss wrote:
To Phys-L@Phys-L.orgMe
Oct 14 at 11:43 AM
      >Maybe I'm missing something here.  Is diSessa saying there is no force between your butt and the chair?
     > Both are affected by gravity.  Your butt is 'pressing down' on the chair (gravity) and the chair is exerting an equal and opposite        > force on your butt."   Otherwise you would fall to the floor.

  No, I did not mean that diSessa had directly said this. But his quoted statement, when applied straightforwardly to described situation, may mislead the students into believing this. A far more accurate statement would be: The net zero momentum flow through a closed surface only means the zero NET force on the object enclosed by the surface. But it does not say anything about possible interaction forces between a certain part of this object and the environment. Similarly, the zero momentum flow through an open surface element (e.g., through the seat of the chair on which I am sitting) only means that the action-reaction forces between the objects on the opposite sides of the surface are opposite and equal in magnitude. It does not say anything about the actual magnitude. To find it, in the above example, I need to insert the scale between my butt and the chair. But this takes us back to the "old-fashioned" direct measurement of the force.

   > Likewise, the chair is affected by gravity but the floor is exerting an equal and opposite force on the chair.  And on and on... the        > floor and support walls, the walls and the foundation... etc. My students always ask where does it end?

It does end with the whole planet Earth taken into the picture.
 Moses Fayngold,, NJIT