Re: [Phys-L] strange things in chem book

The word 'law' means something different to the nonscience teacher and lay person than it does to those who make a study of the terms in science. The word 'law' as used in science would have the same connotation to a lay person as using it to describe the rules of, say, driving on the correct side of the highway or as in robbery is against the law, or underage drinking is against the law. They are true until repealed. Therefore, when we speak of Newton's Laws the person thinks, in no uncertain terms, they are infallible or unbreakable just as the aforementioned laws are to the law-abiding citizen. So, now, in our lessons we are told that that we should explain that Newton's laws of gravity are false or have been superseded by Einstein's Theories of Relativity. So, thinks the non scientist...which is it? Have these these Laws suddenly been repealed? And what is this 'theory' we now say are superior to the 'laws' we were taught about before? Are these scientists crazy? Why do they confuse us so?

Science is confusing enough to the average person. Are we now not making it more so with our waffling about what is true and what is false and, worst of all... what could be true but could be false if you change the conditions or maybe it's both true and false.

Newton is true. period. Einstein is true. period. Both are true. One works 100% of the time for airplanes taking us across the country, and cars stopping for red lights. The other works 100% of the time for all of the above plus for making atomic bombs and nuclear power plants. You use whatever law you need 100% of the time. Notice I said 100% of the time for BOTH concepts. No more of this saying Newton's laws work 99% of the time. Nonsense. Planes don't fly 99% of the time because of Newton and 1% because of Einstein.. They fly 100% of the time if nothing goes wrong mechanically because of Newton. Your car will stop at the red light 100% of the time unless your brakes fail and even then it's because of Newton's Laws, and the average physics student and auto mechanic can figure out why the car didn't stop using those same laws. It's not an approximation... it works 100% of the time and we should tell them that.

All of which may lead to the other discussion about the way problems are set up in physics books... as if nothing else interferes with cars stopping (ie: disregard friction type problems.) But that is fodder for another thread which has been covered here before as well.