Re: [Phys-L] form of Newtons 2nd law

On Jul 29, 2012, at 12:17 PM, John Denker wrote:

I'm so addicted to units that it took me a moment to realize that yes,
there is an alternative. The alternative to algebra is grade-school
arithmetic. Suppose you are in 4th grade. You know basic arithmetic,
but not algebra. You could represent force, mass, and acceleration by
/pure numbers/ devoid of units. In this scenario, to calculate the
force you might well need a fudge factor to make the answer come out
right, so it makes a certain amount of sense to write F = k m a, where
k depends on the choice of units.