Re: [Phys-L] strange things in chem book

A theory is not just an explanation. It is a model that has competed with other models via predictions
and experimental validations. In the end, only one model survives and it is the best explanation we
have for a given phenomena... as close to truth as we get in science. We all know that a theory may
require altering or be discarded, if new information comes along. However, we do not ever want to
give the impression, as is the public view, that a theory is just an explanation or a guess. That kind of
thinking makes it easy to dismiss a theory, such as The Big Bang or the Modern Theory of Evolution.