Re: [Phys-L] article about Steve Chu and ARPA-E

On 2012, Sep 10, , at 07:41, John Denker wrote:

In case you ever want examples of interesting things that physicists do
when they are not in the classroom: The Atlantic has an article on what
Steve Chu has been up to at the Department of Energy.

I sub., but not yet read. However, I did read (possibly care2 ***) that he, et alii, have been sidelined WRT global warming, i.e. no mention in the recent speechifying.

bc listened intermittently only.

*** Care2 - largest online community for healthy and green living, human rights and animal welfare.

http://www.care2.com/

After receiving an unprecedented surge in funding for renewable
energy courtesy of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Chu
set to work hiring big names from the nation's top research
laboratories, in order to staff a new agency called ARPA-E, modeled
after DARPA, the R&D wing of the Pentagon. In just three years,
ARPA-E has made more than 180 investments in basic research projects
in renewable energy, and that's in addition to grants issued by the
Department of Energy proper,

The whole article is at:
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/09/amid-partisan-bickering-everyone-agrees-arpa-e-is-a-fascinating-experiment/261905/

Background info: