Re: [Phys-L] ceramic fuses

I would use exactly the fuse specified.
In addition to safety reasons, here's another reason:
The resistance of the fuse determines (in part) the resistance of the ammeter.
If the resistance changes with current as the fuse heats up, the
resistance of the ammeter will not be constant.
This problem exists even when using the proper fuse in at least one
model of Extech multimeter.
I spoke to a very nice fellow at Extech about this. He said he'd check
with engineers.
After I spoke to him twice, he stopped returning my calls.!

George M. Caplan
Senior Instructor in Physics Laboratory
Wellesley College
106 Central Street