Re: [Phys-L] Inference Lab Design

On 2012, Aug 19, , at 12:58, John Denker wrote:

I have personally made this mistake often enough to know rather well
what it looks like: I assign something that is intended to be a
reasoning exercise, only to find out that for half the class it is
merely a rote recall exercise, because they've seen it before. This
is a particularly prevalent problem in college-freshman classes and
in first-year graduate classes, especially at institutions that draw
students with a wide variety of backgrounds.

This is one of the reasons why it is hard to create a low-budget
"standardized" test of reasoning. We desperately need good tests, but
we should not imagine that it is trivial to administer a nontrivial
test.

You're not familiar w/ the Lawson test of scientific reasoning? There is a Scantron version.

I agree. I suspect it required years of testing, etc. to develop.

bc found it not easy!