From: brian whatcott <betwys1@sbcglobal.net>
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Sent: Monday, 20 August 2012 4:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Inference Lab Design

On 8/19/2012 12:41 PM, Jeff Bigler wrote:
On 8/19/2012 2:29 AM, D.V.N. Sarma wrote:

Talking about inference, here is a story I have read somewhere
which some of you may be knowing already.
  There is a society of logicians. Anybody who wants join the society
will be given a test and only those who pass the test
are admitted.
  Once three new candidates applied for membership.  The society
devised a test for them. They were told that they will be bindfolded
and three caps will be placed one each on their heads. The caps will
be either black or white. Then their blindfolds will be removed.
The candidate cannot see the color of the cap on his own head but
only of those on the heads of the other two. A candidates who sees
one or more white caps should rise his hand. From the hands raised
one has to guess the color of the cap on his own head.
  The candidates were blindfolded and three white caps were placed on
their heads. The blindfolds were removed. All the three raised hands.
Presently one of them said that his cap is white. How did he guess that?
I must be missing something.  Suppose the candidate who spoke up was
candidate #3 (C3).  The following situations are both possible:

    C1    C2    C3
cap    white    white    white
hand    raised    raised    raised

    C1    C2    C3
cap    white    white    black
hand    raised    raised    raised

That is the primary conclusion of course. But then, one candidate ponders on the situation
and proceeds in this way:    If my cap were black, then each of the other candidates could
infer immediately that their hat was white; but there was a pregnant pause, because the
question was not answerable by their initial  cogitation, so it follows that my cap is indeed
white, so though I hesitated, I now know.

[I have not heard this particular puzzle before, but the puzzle concept of 'the hound that
does not bark' or pregnant pause  is shared with several puzzles of this kind]

Brian W
p.s. "There is a story which some of you may be knowing already" is a use of the present
continuous tense which is unusual in  English or American usage - though it is strictly
more correct  than the more usual "some of you may know" - -  from those of us who treat
'know' as a perfect or instantaneous form in the usual way.
This is heard sometimes in Anglo-Indian speakers - though given the surname Sarma,
this is not exactly Holmes level inference. Notice though, that Jeff is comfortable writing
"I must be missing something" where  I am missing" is a present continuous form.
Notice here that Bigler is slightly unusual in English surnames, where you might expect Biggler,
so  again without any great leaps of intellect one concludes that Jeff's folks immigrated
a hundred years or more ago.