[Phys-L] open-ended multi-stage inference

On 08/19/2012 07:10 AM, Chuck Britton wrote:
JD's Twelve Coin puzzle reminds me of a box I built many years ago
consisting of a Red LED, two D-cells and three rotary SPST on-off
switches - all wired in series.

The 'puzzle' is to 'flip' the switches enough to make the LED turn
on.

The REAL assignment is to figure out and write down an algorithm that
will guarantee that the light will light in a minimal number of
flips.

Very nice.