Re: [Phys-L] Inference Lab Design

Alas on 08/14/2012 03:38 PM, I wrote:
As a lesson that does not involve inference so much as scientific
prediction, consider this: Get two quartz-regulated clocks (or
watches), accurate to the nearest second (or better). Set clock A
it as a signal to pay attention to the clocks. Predict that clock
A will read 11:01:00 when clock B reads 11:00:00. Observe again
tomorrow. Note that one second accuracy is one part in 86400, which
is rather more precise than anything they did in high school physics
lab.

An entire line vanished somehow. That was supposed to say

As a lesson that does not involve inference so much as scientific
prediction, consider this: Get two quartz-regulated clocks (or
watches), accurate to the nearest second (or better). Set clock A
one minute ahead of clock B. Set its alarm and use
that as a signal to pay attention to the clocks. Predict that clock
A will read 11:01:00 when clock B reads 11:00:00. Observe again
tomorrow. Note that one second accuracy is one part in 86400, which
is rather more precise than anything they did in high school physics
lab.

One might add:

a) If you want, use a stopwatch to obtain sub-second precision.

b) The importance of super-accurate timing in modern science and technology
can hardly be overstated. As a familiar example, GPS satellites carry
clocks accurate to a nanosecond, short-term and long-term.