Re: [Phys-L] form of Newtons 2nd law

To return to the original question:-

On 27/07/2012, at 7:11 AM, Larry Smith wrote:

My engineering colleague says I should teach N2 as F = kma where k can make it work in non-SI-unit systems. How do you respond to such requests?

If we use the convention of what is sometimes called physical algebra and let each symbol represent both the number and the unit (as in F = 5 N) then F= ma works just fine in any system of units.

Cheers
Ian