Re: [Phys-L] form of Newtons 2nd law

On 07/26/2012 10:19 PM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
Silly, but no sillier than equations like f = 2*pi*omega. Frequency is frequency.

I agree with the sentiment. Frequency is frequency.

Minor nitpick: Writing f = 2*pi*omega is probably even sillier than was intended.
The more common everyday silliness is the other way around: omega = 2*pi*f.

To make a constructive suggestion out of this, consider the following scenario:
Suppose you are doing Fourier transforms. The usual choice is to write factors
of either
exp(i ω t) [1]
or
exp(2 π i f t) [2] (allegedly)

However, taking to heart JM's advice, the latter really should be written as

2 π
exp(-------- i f t) [3]
Hz sec

which makes [3] the same as [1] in all ways, formally, practically, and otherwise.
In particular, if we consider the example of

f = 100 Hertz
ω = 314 inverse seconds

we see that frequency is frequency, and ω equals f ... provided you take the units
into account. The factor of 2π in equation [2] is a mistake. The units are wrong.
I personally have made this mistake more than once, but I now repent.

2 π
The factor of -------- is a classic "factor-label" factor. It is a factor of unity.
Hz sec