Re: [Phys-L] Higgs in a HS physics class

Show and discuss some short video vignettes; see below (my faves are the minute physics videos):

Physics story of the year 2012: Higgs Boson mass reported by CERN
www.cern.ch
tinyurl.com/WSellis
tinyurl.com/WSbesthiggs
youtube.com/user/minutephysics/

The big summer physics news was the July 4th CERN www.cern.ch claim of measuring the mass of the long sought Higgs boson, the first excitation or quantum of the Higgs field which ascribes mass to matter in the Standard Model. Characterizing the boson may lead to new physics beyond the Standard Model, which is nicely presented in the popular YouTube minute physics cartoon vignettes on the Higgs Boson and the Theory of Everything (the Standard Model) from youtube.com/user/minutephysics/

A short explanation by theoretician John Ellis of the meaning of the Higgs appears on YouTube at tinyurl.com/WSellis, and interview excerpts by Peter Higgs and other theoreticians in Best of Higgs Field Theory physicists discusses the historical significance of the announcement recorded at CERN, tinyurl.com/WSbesthiggs

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 1-716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>
Physics Graduate Coordinator & NSF Investigator for ISEP (MSP) and Noyce