Re: [Phys-L] E-mail is copyrighted?

Thanks -- this makes sence.

bc now wonders about speech, and hopes Jack U. will offer some more of his "free advice".

On 2012, Jul 22, , at 02:55, Dr Keith S Taber wrote:

Yes, I would think so, in the same sense that (technically) you own copyright in a letter that you write - the composition is your intellectual property. My understanding is that one automatically owns copyright in one's writing unless one assigns it elsewhere, but that if you wish to protect copyright it is sensible to use the copyright symbol (c) and add your name and date. I don't think this enhances the copyright itself, but makes it difficult for someone else to claim the could not identify the copyright holder as a defence. (I am not a lawyer, this is my understanding, and it may only apply in the UK?)

Much cut.