From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [mailto:phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-
l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 4:39 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Fwd: [PTSOS] spacetime simulator: flexible conduit?

In the context of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY1Kje0yLg

On 07/17/2012 01:03 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
I don't understand how this is a space time simulator? I though it
was simply an (approximate) inverse square model (1/r, potential),
nothing to do w/ special relativity.

(and/or general relativity)

bc needs to go back to school?

BC is being ultra-polite. The trampoline model represents a serious
misconception as to the structure of spacetime and the relationship between
curvature and motion.

Here's a three-sentence proof of what I am saying: Deform the trampoline
upward instead of downward. The intrinsic curvature would be the same
and the geodesics would be the same, so the prediction of real general
relativity would be the same. However the trampoline demo makes
opposite predictions about the motion.

A much more apt model of motion in curved space can be found here:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/geodesics.htm