Re: [Phys-L] thermodynamics of open systems

Consult Chapter 12 of Vanderslice's text "Thermodynamics" for a simple development of
dS = Q/T + Sum (si*dNi) for an open system.

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Sciamanda
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 2:16 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org ; phys-l@mail.phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] thermodynamics of open systems

Callen's Thermo text explicitly restricts the validity of Q=T*dS to
reversible, constant mole number, processes.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net
http://mysite.verizon.net/res12merh/

-----Original Message----- From: Carl Mungan
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2012 5:37 PM
To: phys-l@mail.phys-l.org
Subject: [Phys-L] thermodynamics of open systems

I read a nice article in J. Chem. Ed. yesterday. I simplified somewhat the
analysis in it and post my summary here:

http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/OpenSystems.pdf

I would be delighted by comments on it. (Try hard not to get hung up on
terminology, unless that *really* impedes understanding in your opinion.)
-Carl

--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363