[Phys-L] Fwd: FERPA

So when Z Wurman says "...FERPA does not prohibit parents from being given info about their children, even after 18..." in his usual direct manner, he means "...FERPA *does* prohibit parents from being given info about their children, even after 18, unless there is an explicit written, signed agreement from the student on file to that effect...". Have I grasped the nubbin of the response now, Dan?
Brian W

at 11:33, Daniel L Macisaac wrote:

> Yup, it's called FERPA. Parents get to trust what their kids tell them,
> and if helicopter parents don't consider their own children trustworthy,
> such parents commence reaping what they have sown.

Yes, the last I heard responsibility is bi-directional. e.g. a parent must support a child's ed. to the child's ability and the parent's wealth. i.e. a well to do parent must pay the tuition to Harvard, OTOH the child must obey reasonable (as defied in the particular court case) demands by the parents. I've forgotten to what age. bc thinks the college is in loco parentis. By far the most common usage of in loco parentis relates to teachers and students. For hundreds of years, the English common-law concept shaped the rights and responsibilities of public school teachers: until the late nineteenth century, their legal authority over students was as broad as that of parents. Changes in U.S. education, concurrent with a broader reading by courts of the rights of students, began bringing the concept into disrepute by the 1960s. Cultural changes, however, brought a resurgence of the doctrine in the twenty-first century. In loco parentis legal definition of In loco parentis. In loco parentis synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.