From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] on behalf of ron mcdermott [rmcder@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 4:12 PM
To: Phys-L@phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

Bob, under this scenario, why have vouchers at all? Why not just have the
lottery to begin with? What you're describing is what my district has done
for forty years without needing 'vouchers'. Again, vouchers may seem
like a good idea until you look closer, and excluding private schools from
consideration would eliminates 95% of the support for vouchers. There IS
no quick fix that will make everything ok. We need a change in the way our
society values knowedge, teachers, etc. We need less poverty which often
results in all KINDS of negative behaviors, both in school and elsewhere.
We need stable families which support their kids' educational efforts. We
need parents who themselves are educated, and so the cycle goes.

We need SO many things which have nothing to do with what is happening
directly in the schools that influences the 'performance' of them. Who
elects to go into teaching, what their training is, and whether or not they
are unionized is, for the most part irrelevant. Schools simply can't
parent our kids for us. They cannot raise them to be respectful,
hardworking, and productive. They cannot make kids WANT to learn and value
learning. The majority of that occurs (or not) in the home, community, and
culture. Dismantling and/or privatizing the public schools isn't an
answer. Having everyone of means (and influence) abandon them simply makes
it easier to ignore those who remain.