Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 7/11/2012 1:42 PM, FOUAD AJAMI wrote:
Am I the only one to think that this list is getting less "physical" and more political?If I remember, this private school thing started as a response to an energy concept test?Or maybe not, it is such a long time since.

Fouad Ajami

I will admit to surprise at the dynamics of this thread. Such depth of feelings!
About private schools - I found it hard to read that their results are no better than the public school system - I found the comment that private schools are disproportionately represented at the best universities more resonant.
Possibly two effects at play here:
1) parental expectations and cohort shared values, home environments and resources do not alter the possibility that genetics account for the major part of ones skills and talents, but of that environmental fraction, whatever it is, it can make a competitive difference.
2) Cash in the bank can buy entree into very many desirable situations, anywhere, but certainly in the US too. Yale, anyone?.-

When cash enters, then politics is involved in the nature of things.

Brian W