Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: Private schools

I agree. Thanks for clarifying all of this.

Here in Jersey, the cost of living is relatively high, and the tuition at
private schools here reflects this. I imagine there is some correlation
between the two. And fundraising is a factor that helps with academic
programs and professional development. I forget our endowment, but I know
it's under $1 billion! :)

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
I'm surprised to hear people talking as if "private schools" were some
sort of unified collection of similar institutions.

Some are religious (of all sorts of different varieties); some are
non-religious.
Some are small (there is a private elementary school near where I live
that has just a few dozen students); some are quite large.
Some will take just about anyone who applies; some are highly selective
(like Sidwell Friends School where the President's daughters go).
Some hobble by on a shoe-string budget; some are flush with money (for
example, Phillips Exeter Academy has an endowment of ~ $1 Billion and
spends ~ $60,000 per year per student.)

While public schools around the country are *relatively* uniform, private
schools are so incredibly varied that it make little sense to try to say
what a "typical" private school setting is.