Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

On 7/10/2012 7:16 PM, Paul Lulai wrote:
You would be making slum schools. There would be nice private schools, and slum schools.
If this is trolling, you finally got me.
It seems you are simply stating that we do not need public education. The haves and the have nots are the way it should be.
I disagree with you.

If I gave the impression of trolling I apologize. I am not trolling.

"It seems you are simply stating that we do not need public education. The haves and the have nots are the way it should be."

I have no quarrel with publicly-funded education. But I see many issues with publicly *run* education, which is what we have today. Further, I think you are wrong when you equate this to mean that the haves and have nots "are the way it should be." Again and again, please look at Sweden or Belgium. Or on our own higher ed system. Are they the epitome of maintaining the status quo? Do the Swedes have
nice private schools and slum public schools?

I will ignore the rest of your argument. We all say not well thought out things when we are angry.

But this may be the time to inject some data into this discussion, as it seems many think that all private schools are expensive and fancy, while public schools are underfunded and bare bones.

Average per student spending (2007-8) : Public - $10,300, Private - $9,200

Obviously, there are outliers. But for every Exeter Academy ($35K) or Harker ($27.5K to $37.5K depending on grade) we have the whole state of New Jersey with 19K per student, or DC with $29,400(!) per student <http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/census-bureau-confirms-dc-spends-29409-pupil/>.

About 5% of private schools are focused on special education, teaching about 2% of private school students.

The belief that private education is for the rich or that special education is ignored by private schooling is a myth. As is the belief that public education is an effective but underfunded solution.

Ze'ev

Refs:
http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oii/nonpublic/statistics.html#private
http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch/pubsinfo.asp?pubid=2011339
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d10/tables/dt10_191.asp

That is why I teach within a public school system. I feel it is worthwhile trying to reach a kid that didn't start out as a /have./
No worries. Under your system those kids can tough it out for themselves. It is darwinian.
As they said on caddyshack, "the world needs ditch diggers too." and if your parents were one, you must be too. We know it must all be genetic.

I bit on the trolling.

Have a good one.
May your children and their children always have a silver spoon.