Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

There appears to be an assumption here that more money sent to schools from taxes equates to better results. I think you would find it hard to discover anyone except those whose livelihood depends on the schools who would accept that assertion. We have students from Nepal who attend out college (because of our 3-2 program that leads to a transfer to Columbia U). They are all from families who cannot afford to enter Columbia directly. Uniformly, they are far better educated than our US students. Obviously, money spent in the school system is not the answer.

Bob at PC
From: phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org [phys-l-bounces@mail.phys-l.org] on behalf of ron mcdermott [rmcder@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:50 PM
To: Phys-L@phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Private schools

However it came to be, and whatever anyone thinks is the motivation for it,
our public schools represent what we as citizens are willing to support
through our taxes. It is, by and large, a minimum standard which we, as
citizens, feel is sufficent for the needs of our society as a whole, If
you want more, or something not on the menu, it is not unreasonable to
expect that you will pick up the tab for it. I don't see that as
inequitable. A service is provided, but you choose not to avail yourself
of that service.

And I, for one, DO worry about drawing off limited funding to benefit those
who have decided that what is being provided isn't sufficient for their
wishes. I have great sympathy for the concept of parents choosing where
their kids will attend and how they will be educated, but I can't support
the use of MY taxes to support THEIR choice; to the detriment of the
students who will remain behind.